Tuesday, July 14, 2015

DEATH! A poem. About the Greek crisis.

Hello loyal reader (the singular is not accidental)!!! Not many people know this, but I am famous for my poetry. You might say it is a contradiction in terms to be famous for something not many people know about but THAT JUST SHOWS HOW LITTLE YOU KNOW!!! Despite the blatant conspiracy against me by the Nobel Prize for Literature, and by the entire poetry establishment (I am hated by Big Poetry) and by all other mediums, outlets and well anything at all asides from this blog... my Fame nonetheless grows.

Now in my spare time I like to torture myself by editing Green Left Weekly's cultural dissent section and looking at poetry submissions (I refuse to abuse my position by running my own works, despite many requests and even furious demands I do so, for I have principles).

And while I will not deny there is a lot of really high quality political poetry out there, and some of it by people who can even rhyme, it got me thinking that I don't publish enough of MY OWN poetry which is, of course, SO MUCH BETTER!!! HERE IS A GEM I JUST FINISHED JUST NOW AFTER SLAVING FOR 1.09 MINUTES!!


DEATH! A poem. About the Greek crisis.

I once wrote a poem just for fun
Then sat back and looked at the horror I had done
Did the world really need to hear me rhyme?
No, but they'll get over it, I suppose, in time.
DEATH DEATH DEATH DEATH DEATH
DEATH DEATH DEATH DEATH DEATH
DEATH DEATH DEATH!

DEATH DEATH DEATH DEATH DEATH
DEATH DEATH DEATHITY DEATH DEATH
DEATH DEATH DEATH 
I hate everything but especially those German pricks screwing Greece.


There it is. A work of genius! And YES! I KNOW the last line doesn't rhyme! I KNEW some ignorant pricks would pick up on that, not realising that POEMS DON'T ALWAYS HAVE TO RHYME, YEAH? I *know* every other line rhymed in a highly unique AABBCCCCCC format, but it is called "experimenting with the form" and anyway it is an *important social issue* I raised in that last line, which is all the more highlighted by the way that JARS with the rest of the otherwise totally orthodox poetic form. GREECE IS IMPORTANT!

***

Do you want to know MORE about Greece and its current crisis than my poem can teach you? fear not! Tom Waits is on the job! His song "rtaling At the Same time" from his 2011 album Bad As Me, is ALL ABOUT THE CURRENT CRISIS IN GREECE! Yeah some might say it is a song inspired by the effects of the Great Recession in the United States to which Waits has added, as his wont, big dashes of heartache over a relationship ending when the narrator's lover walks out on them  (obviously a reference to Yanis Varoufarkis's resignation as finance minister) BUT REALLY IT IS GREECE! EVERY LINE!!!

Yeah, because "All the news is bad, is there any other kind?" and "All the money is gone" and "Someone makes money when there’s blood in the street" and  "Well we bailed out all the millionaires, they’ve got the fruit, we've got the rind" and MOST OF ALL ( as anyone who has tried to follow the media or just he fucking far left on social media can attest) "Everybody's talking at the same time".

Sing it, Tom.



Talking At The Same Time

Get a job, save your money, listen to Jane
Everybody knows umbrellas will cost more in the rain
All the news is bad
Is there any other kind?
Everybody’s talking at the same time 
Well it’s hard times for some
For others it’s sweet
Someone makes money when there’s blood in the street
Don’t take any lip
Stay in line
Everybody’s talking at the same time 
Well the dog is in the kitchen
And the war drags on
The trees wait by the freeway
All the moneys all gone
Well she told me she would leave me
I ignored all the signs
And now everybody’s talking at the same time
Everybody’s talking at the same time 
Ain’t no one coming to pull you from the mud
You gotta build your nest high enough to ride out the flood
I know you’re leaving and there’s no more next time
Everybody’s talking at the same time 
A tiny boy sat and he played in the sand
He made a sword from a stick
And a gun from his hand
Well we bailed out all the millionaires
They’ve got the fruit
We’ve got the rind
And everybody’s talking at the same time
Everybody’s talking at the same time

No comments:

Post a Comment